Regulatory Compliance and Defence
Toronto Consumer Protection Act Lawyer
Our advice and representation is routinely sought by public corporations, private companies and individuals who are charged with offences under the Consumer Protection Act, find themselves under investigation by the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, or require legal advice on regulatory compliance with consumer protection legislation.
Our focus is always on achieving compliance to avoid financial and legal repercussions. However, should complications be unavoidable, we are experienced in assisting and guiding companies under investigation, helping to insulate them against charges and seeking to minimize or prevent business interruptions.
- Successfully defended Ontario Consumers Home Services Inc. and its directors against 63 charges under the Consumer Protection Act. The Ministry withdrew all charges.
- Successfully defended MorEnergy Services Inc. against charges under the Consumer Protection Act. The Ministry withdraw all charges.
- Successfully resolved complaints for private companies and persuaded the regulator not to lay charges before they draw public scrutiny.
- Acted for numerous private companies under investigation by the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services.
- Represented home services companies in response to complaints under the Consumer Protection Act.
- Represented home service company in appeal of an Order for Immediate Compliance before the Licence Appeal Tribunal.
- Represented group of home services companies making submissions to government on legislative changes.